An argumentative essay is an essay that takes a position or presents a point of view on an issue. In an argumentative essay, the writer aims to convince the reader or audience that they agree with their point of view or idea. This is achieved by presenting strong arguments, supported by evidence and all relevant references.
An argumentative essay requires thorough research and analysis of all relevant sources and other documents or evidence. Unlike persuasive writing, an essay should not only rely on emotional aspects when trying to persuade a listener or reader. An argumentative essay is unique in that you only need to support your position.
See more topics:
- 747 Contemporary thesis topics
- How to create a perfect thesis draft?
A good argumentative essay should always have:
- End the first paragraph with a clear and concise thesis statement.
- After each element of the article, it is necessary to have a logical transition.
- Each part of the passage has enough supporting evidence.
- A meaningful conclusion, not just a repetition or summary.
There are a number of topics on which you can write an argumentative essay. Some of them are listed below:-
Argumentative essay topics for A high school
Teenagers need to develop persuasive argumentative essay topics that will help them write well-researched essays with a variety of available evidence and sources. To make writing fun, students should develop interesting argumentative essay topics that also make them curious. Here are some of the school argumentative essay topics for teenagers listed below.
- Should high school students wear school uniforms?
- Video games and video games bad for teenagers; discussion
- Who do you think is a good leader and why?
- Should training be optional or mandatory?
- When is it time to talk about sex in schools and good and bad touch?
B- Educational Argumentative Essay Topics
It is actually difficult to come up with an argumentative topic for an education essay when you do not know what you are writing about. Whether it is a high school argumentative essay topic or an educational argumentative essay topic, you should understand which side of the argument you are on and have the necessary sources and evidence to support them. Here are some argumentative essay topics for 2023.
- Should education be free for all?
- How certain video games can make students violent and aggressive at school.
- How useful is the internet for students and why?
- Effective ways to eliminate school violence.
- How technology promotes school learning and student growth.
C- Argumentative essay topics in psychology
Finding the right topic for an argumentative mental health or psychology essay can be challenging because of the wide range of topics.
- What are the causes of suicidal behavior today?
- Social development is necessary at all stages of childhood.
- What causes false memories in the human brain?
- Symptoms and solutions for eating disorders today.
- Ways to help children with difficulties and learning disabilities.
D- Political Argumentative Essay Topics
Thinking of Good High School Essay Topics or College Essay Topics Argumentative essays about politics are complicated and not easy to find.
- The impact of World War II on global politics is happening.
- Is war a political decision?
- What is the effectUnited Nations. Entering the 21st century and its benefits?
- Should privacy be prioritized over national security? Why?
- How Russia's War in Ukraine Has Affected Global Politics and Outcomes.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grades E-6
Below are some 6th grade argumentative essay topics designed to help students improve their writing and thinking skills. These interesting high school argumentative essay topics or excellent high school argumentative essay topics can easily generate ideas for research and writing on these topics. Here are some of the most affordable argumentative essay topics listed below.
- Various forms of environmental pollution occur.
- How important is sports in the development of the school and the students?
- How to practice good time management from an early age.
- Effects of junk food consumption on physical and mental health.
- Children have the importance of role models at an early age.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grades E-7
The best way to find high school argumentative essay topics or high school argumentative essay topics is to choose those topics that encourage debate and discussion. It is important to note that argumentative essay topics for seventh graders are different from narrative essays and therefore require more extensive practice and research. Whether it's a current topic or an argumentative essay topic about animals, find some examples below.
- Students should not watch reality shows that are in production.
- The US government should always have English as its official language.
- Does pop culture have a negative effect on teenagers and is it a bad influence?
- Should the internet be censored in schools and minors?
- Should religious education be taught in American schools?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grades F-8
When students enter 8th grade, one of the first activities they undertake is writing long essays. This means they also need to develop argumentative essay topics for high school or argumentative essay topics for teenagers. If you are searching online for some good argumentative essay topics or argumentative essay research topics, here are some of them below.
- Is entering university straight after graduation too stressful for students?
- Schools should ban cell phones and smartphones; discuss
- Advantages and disadvantages of social media available today.
- Should school bullying be criminalized or fined?
- Choose your way of studying at university.
G-Social Justice Argumentative Essay Topics
The word social justice may seem simple, but choosing a topic for an argumentative essay on social justice is problematic and sometimes very difficult because the topic has subtopics. Argumentative essay topics, such as gender-based violence, require a clear understanding of exactly how to discuss an essay. Here are some problems listed below.
- The impact of fat shaming on social media and its consequences.
- Discuss the challenges criminals face in today's job market.
- Is colorism the new racism of our time?
- Unfair and unfair labor laws; discussion
H - Health Argumentative Essay Topics
What Are Good Argumentative Essay Topics About Health Care? The answer to this question can be more complicated than you think due to the number of topics available. You should definitely choose a controversial health care topic that is relevant to your research. Here are some controversial argumentative essay topics for 2023 mentioned below.
- Discuss the barriers to health care access for African Americans.
- How has healthcare changed in the past decade and what are the reasons for this?
- Discuss the public health benefits and why it is necessary?
- Discuss health challenges in the United States and neighboring countries.
- How good is healthcare for you and why is it important?
Argumentative essay topics on video games-
Choosing a good argumentative essay topic can be challenging with topics like video games. Fortunately, finding the right argumentative essay topic for high school is easier thanks to the following sample topics mentioned below in this article.
- Violent VR games make children violent and aggressive; discussion
- Should video games be allowed on campus during school hours?
- Are video games making children less social and physically active?
- How to introduce young children to video games?
- Disadvantages of playing video games for too long or too long.
J-Student Argumentative Essay Emner-
To practice how to write an argumentative essay for teenagers, start by choosing an appropriate elementary school argumentative essay topic or available argumentative essay topics. Whether it is a historical argumentative essay topic or an environmental essay topic, it is important to choose a topic that is easy to understand; here are some argumentative essay topics about social media.
- Should the age for alcohol consumption be raised? Why?
- Should students choose their teachers to teach them?
- Do they do their homework?
- Should students be drug tested as a safety measure?
- Discuss the importance of voting and the consequences of not voting.
Argumentative topics for freshman essay
Argumentative essay topics for college are much more advanced than argumentative essay topics for high school students. This is because the college 2023 argumentative essay topics chosen at this stage must be different. Here are some college argumentative essay topics listed below.
- Will legalizing the death penalty reduce crime and criminals?
- Should the voting age be lowered and the consequences thereof?
- Should freedom of speech be restricted by certain limits?
- Should governments stop spying on their own citizens?
- The overall benefit makes health carefree.
L argumentative music essay topics
One way to come up with music argumentative essay topics is to relate them to today's music culture and the music that is currently available. Here are some examples below.
- Should music be categorized by race? Why?
- Is classical music relevant to the new generation in modern times?
- Discuss how music has become a unifying factor in our time.
- What is the most important music genre of all time? Why?
- How does hip hop affect cultural practices and side effects?
With sports argumentative essay topics or interesting argumentative essay topics, you should not forget to support your point of view with your research perspective. Here are some argumentative essay topics for undergraduate study in 2023.
- Student athletes should live within their means; discussion
- Who is the most outstanding athlete in history? LeBron James or Tom Brady. discuss
- How dangerous is professional football and why?
- Are athletes good role models? Why?
- Should esports be classified as a real sport and why?
N food argumentative essay topics
Topics for student argumentative essays on food are extensive and resources are readily available. So when coming up with an argumentative essay topic, colleges start by asking a question that points to the topic you are discussing in general. The following 2023 argumentative essay topics may be considered.
- The benefits of a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Discuss the different types of food allergies that occur today.
- Are GM foods suitable for people of all ages?
- How fast food contributes to obesity in children and middle-aged adults.
- How long should individuals store certain foods?
O philosophical argumentative essay topics
When devising a topic for writing an argumentative essay, it is imperative to avoid questions that will not provoke discussion or controversy. Furthermore, the topic of the argumentative essay should accurately deal with current events. Here are some good argumentative essay topics for 2023.
- Science and faith are not compatible; discuss the same.
- How does belief in gods change a person as a whole?
- Human nature is evil or good, how can you tell the difference.
- Are people born or are leaders made?
- For or against violent resistance in our time.
P-Immigration argumentative essay emner
Argumentative essay topics focusing on immigration are sensitive and fragile. Therefore, the topic of an argumentative essay on such topics should choose a side correctly. This research-based argumentative essay topic is also suitable for dissertations. Here are some essay discussion topics to consider.
- Immigrants from Islamic countries should not be allowed into the country; discuss the consequences.
- Discuss Australia's immigration policy and its implications.
- How the Russian invasion of Ukraine dramatically affected immigration policy.
- Does immigration increase terrorism and terrorists?
- Should immigrants be recognized as US citizens?
Medical argumentative essay q topics
The medical world is a broad topic, and finding argumentative topics about mental health is not as easy as it may seem to everyone. When choosing the best argumentative nursing essay topics or argumentative abortion essay topics, narrow down to a specific topic so you don't get overwhelmed and confused. Some of the health argumentative essay topics mentioned below can be considered here.
- Signs, symptoms and treatments of depression in our time.
- Different types of mental disorders occurring in today's generation.
- How processed food can wreak havoc on the human body.
- Ways to prevent heart disease and heart failure.
- Can Marijuana Only Treat Certain Diseases?
Argumentative Essay Topics R Technology
Technology has become essential in people's lives and can provide good topics for argumentative essays in general. A topic like a controversial social media essay topic can provide enough material to write with all the relevant sources and evidence. Below are some argumentative essay topics for students.
- How Meta-verse will affect social interactions in the long run.
- Robots should not have artificial intelligence; discuss the consequences.
- The strengths and weaknesses of school technology.
- Is technology making us less socially and physically active?
- How social media can lead to depression and anxiety.
S-Black Lives Matter Argumentative Essay Emner
Racial profiling and slavery are some of the controversial argumentative essay topics for 2023. Since this is a sensitive topic, a detailed argumentative essay title or a controversial serious essay title will be requested. Listed below are some excellent argumentative essay topics that individual writers can choose from.
- The ills of multiculturalism in the African American community are happening today.
- How is the African American community racially profiled and represented?
- Did George Floyd's death change the racially profiled face of African Americans? How to change?
- Is the eugenics movement a racist ideology?
- Are movements like Black Lives Matter promoting global racial inclusion?
Top 100 Argumentative Essay Topics | EssayCopy.com? ›
Argument Essay Topics about Social and Political Issues
Should the death penalty be banned? Should the US prison system include for-profit prisons? Should Confederate statues and memorials come down? Should the US switch to a single-payer health system?
- Are men and women equally emotional?
- Are printed books best than e-readers?
- Do you think that the drinking age should be lowered?
- Are parents responsible for childhood obesity?
- Do you think that college should free?
- Do you think that beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Emotional Arguments in Essays.
- Ethical Arguments in Essays.
- Logical Arguments in Essays.
- The Argument.
- Writing an Argumentative Essay.
Argument Essay Topics about Social and Political Issues
Should the death penalty be banned? Should the US prison system include for-profit prisons? Should Confederate statues and memorials come down? Should the US switch to a single-payer health system?
The five-paragraph essay has three basic parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction is the first paragraph of the essay, and it serves several purposes. This paragraph gets your reader's attention, develops the basic ideas of what you will cover, and provides the thesis statement for the essay.What is a strong argumentative essay? ›
The argumentative essay requires well-researched, accurate, detailed, and current information to support the thesis statement and consider other points of view. Some factual, logical, statistical, or anecdotal evidence should support the thesis.What is a typical argumentative essay? ›
A typical argumentative essay comprises three or more paragraphs that explain the reasons why you support your thesis. Each body paragraph should cover a different idea or piece of evidence and contain a topic sentence that clearly and concisely explains why the reader should agree with your position.What are the 8 types of arguments? ›
- Causal argument. ...
- Rebuttal argument. ...
- Proposal argument. ...
- Evaluation argument. ...
- Narrative argument. ...
- Toulmin argument. ...
- Rogerian argument. ...
- Classical Western argument.
There are three basic structures or types of argument you are likely to encounter in college: the Toulmin argument, the Rogerian argument, and the Classical or Aristotelian argument.What are 4 types of arguments? ›
- Type 1: Deductive Arguments.
- Type 2: Inductive Arguments.
- Type 3: Toulmin Argument.
- Type 4: Rogerian Argument.
What are some examples of argumentative paragraph? ›
Your CLAIM should consider the opposing argument and provide a REASON why you believe your CLAIM. Example: Although I disagree with much that those who oppose animal testing say, I fully endorse their final conclusion that there are many better alternatives to animal testing.How do you write an argumentative essay for Grade 11? ›
- Step 1: Pick a topic and write a thesis statement. A thesis statement is a one or two sentence summary of the central message or main claim of your essay. ...
- Step 2: Research your ideas and organise your findings. ...
- Step 3: Draft a structure and write your essay.
Argumentative writing in some form is done in every discipline and involves presenting facts along with rational or logical statements to support your claim. With argumentative writing, you must support your claim with applicable and appropriate evidence.How do you write a strong argumentative essay? ›
- Introduce the problem.
- Explain your perspective.
- Explain your opponent's perspective. Refute their points one-by-one as you go.
- Present your evidence.
- Conclude your argument.
These are the parts that will flesh out your argument and support the claim you made in your thesis statement. Like other types of essays, argumentative essays typically have three main sections: the introduction, the body, and the conclusion.How many paragraphs is 500 words? ›
Since most paragraphs contain around 75-200 words, a 500-word essay will have approximately 4-6 paragraphs. 🗑 Should a 500 word essay have paragraphs? Yes. A 500-word essay will likely include around 4-6 paragraphs.What should I argue about? ›
- Should social media platforms be banned from collecting their users' data?
- Should companies have to hire human workers overusing autonomous machines?
- Should cell phones be banned from vehicles?
- Has the internet made society better?
- Should parents limit screen time for kids?
- Technology & Social Media.
- College & Career.
- Mental & Physical Health.
- Race & Gender.
- Parenting & Childhood.
- Ethics & Morality.
- Government & Politics.
- An opening hook to catch the reader's attention.
- Relevant background information that the reader needs to know.
- A thesis statement that presents your main point or argument.
The average argumentative essay is between three to five pages, and will require at least three or four separate sources with which to back your claims.
What is an example of an argumentative thesis? ›
Most people would agree that junk food is bad for your health. Because junk food is bad for your health, the size of sodas offered at fast-food restaurants should be regulated by the federal government is a debatable thesis. Reasonable people could agree or disagree with the statement.What is an example of an argument text? ›
An argument text is a text where the writer is either 'for' or 'against' an issue or subject, or presents the case for both sides. A common example of an argument text a kid may write about in primary school is whether students should have to wear school uniforms.What are the 5 ways to argue? ›
The arguments are often named as follows: (1) argument from motion, (2) argument from efficient cause, (3) argument from necessary being, (4) argument from gradations of goodness, and (5) argument from design.What are the famous argument forms? ›
- Disjunctive Syllogism (DS)
- Hypothetical Syllogism (HS)
- Modus Ponens (MP)
- Modus Tollens (MT)
- Constructive Dilemma (CD)
- Destructive Dilemma (DD)
Here is an example of an argument: “Team X will win the basketball game against Team Y because Team X has taller players than Team Y.” The “claim” is the bottom line conclusion of the argument – namely in this example that “Team X will win the basketball game.” The “warrant” is the reasoning behind the claim.What is the most common type of argument? ›
One of the most common forms of argument is that of persuasion, and often standardized tests, like the SOL, will provide writing prompts for persuasive arguments. On some level, all arguments have a persuasive element because the goal of the argument is to persuade the reader to take the writer's claim seriously.What is an academic argument? ›
Definition of Academic Arguments
An academic argument is your stance, your claim, or your take on your topic. This stance, claim, or take is your contribution to the current conversation on your topic and provides your readers with a position, perspective, and/or point of view on your topic.
Discursive essays persuade your reader to see the different sides of a debate in a certain way and present your ability to compare different approaches to a topic. Expository essays persuade your reader that your opinion is the right one and that you are a competent critical thinker.What are the 6 elements of argument? ›
Developed by philosopher Stephen E. Toulmin, the Toulmin method is a style of argumentation that breaks arguments down into six component parts: claim, grounds, warrant, qualifier, rebuttal, and backing.What are the 4 elements of argument essay? ›
The 4 parts of an argumentative essay are the claim, counterclaim, reasoning, and evidence.
What are the 4 important components a good argument must have? ›
Information is used, but it is organized based on these major components of an argument: claim, reason, evidence, counter-claim, and rebuttal.What is a good sentence to start an argumentative essay? ›
According to … Based on the findings of ... it can be argued... … proposed that … It can be argued… Arguably…Can you use I in an argumentative essay? ›
Using “I” in an essay is not wrong, but it is unnecessary. The reader can safely assume that the ideas in the essay are by the writer since the writer's name is on the paper.What is an example of a debatable claim? ›
Example of a debatable thesis statement:
At least 25 percent of the federal budget should be spent on limiting pollution. This is an example of a debatable thesis because reasonable people could disagree with it. Some people might think that this is how we should spend the nation's money.
Start with a hook or attention getting sentence. Briefly summarize the texts • State your claim. Make sure you are restating the prompt. Include a topic sentence that restates your claim and your reason.What is an argumentative essay elementary school? ›
What is an argument essay? An argument essay uses logic and reasoning to defend a position or point of view. In an argument essay, research, evidence, and examples are used to convince the reader to consider a different point of view. A strong argument essay also acknowledges the opposing viewpoint.Why would you write an argumentative essay? ›
The purpose of an argumentative essay is to organize and present your well-reasoned conclusions in order to persuade the audience to accept—or at least seriously consider—your point of view. Begin at the End!How do you end an argumentative essay? ›
Restate your topic and why it is important, Restate your thesis/claim, Address opposing viewpoints and explain why readers should align with your position, Call for action or overview future research possibilities.What should you avoid when writing an argumentative essay? ›
- The Definition. An argumentative essay is typically defined as a genre of writing aimed at proving a certain stance. ...
- The 4 Types. ...
- Skipping the Outline. ...
- Not Enough Research. ...
- Vague Thesis Statement. ...
- Not Supporting Your Arguments. ...
- Clumsy Conclusion. ...
Because argumentative essays usually follow a five-paragraph structure, your structure should be as follows: First paragraph: introduction and thesis statement. Second to the fourth paragraph: body paragraphs, each one detailing your claims. Fifth paragraph: conclusion.
How do you write an argumentative essay example? ›
- Make a claim.
- Provide the grounds (evidence) for the claim.
- Explain the warrant (how the grounds support the claim)
- Discuss possible rebuttals to the claim, identifying the limits of the argument and showing that you have considered alternative perspectives.
How many pages is 10000 words? Single spaced 10000 words is 20 pages; double spaced 10000 words is 40 pages. This of course will depend on your word processor settings and how you format your work, however, with standard margins and Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font your results should be about the same.How long is a 5000 word essay? ›
Double spaced, 5000 words is around 20 pages; single spaced about 10 pages.How many pages is 2,000 words? ›
Answer: 2000 words is 4 pages single spaced or 8 pages double spaced.What are the 3 main points of an argumentative essay? ›
Introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion: these are the main sections of an argumentative essay.What is a good argumentative thesis? ›
A strong thesis statement for an argument essay states a clear position on the issue. The thesis often includes a word or phrase that signals an opinion, such as should, ought to, need to, have an obligation to, or even must or had better.How to write a argumentative essay? ›
- Select an arguable topic, preferably one which interests, puzzles, or appeals to you. ...
- Take a position on your topic, and form a thesis statement. ...
- Consider your audience. ...
- Present clear and convincing evidence. ...
- Draft your essay. ...
- Edit your draft.
No one could reasonably argue that pollution is unambiguously good. Example of a debatable thesis statement: At least 25 percent of the federal budget should be spent on limiting pollution. This is an example of a debatable thesis because reasonable people could disagree with it.What is an example of a strong thesis statement? ›
A strong thesis statement is specific.
A thesis statement should show exactly what your paper will be about, and will help you keep your paper to a manageable topic. For example, if you're writing a seven-to-ten page paper on hunger, you might say: World hunger has many causes and effects.